Tuesday 3 July 2018

Rules of Karuta (continued)

Ok, guys I hope that I didn't make you wait too long. Here's the further information on the rules of Kyougi Karuta. Today, I'll tell you about the otetsuki (also known as 'foul touch' or just 'foul').

To make my platform of teaching more interesting I have decided to teach you in collaborations of some case studies.

"> So, her's a case where the cards on the field have come down to 3 vs. 3 with cards like 'chiha' and 'ura' on my right corner and the 'su' card in the left corner. On opponent side we have 'mu' and 'uka'(a friend card or tomofuda of 'ura' card, one which is on my side) topmost left corner of the image and 'se' on the topmost right corner of the image. So, here are different cases of Otetsuki( now onwards foul touch is referred as otetsuki, it's painful to type so much :'D):

  1. If the card read by the reader, is not one of the 50 cards that we took in the beginning of the game(I mean to say if it is a ghost card) touching any card would result in a otetsuki.
    In above case, if 'yura' is read and I touch 'ura' it is a otetsuki and I have to accept a card from opponnt's territory. This would bring the score down to 4 cards on my side and 2 cards on the opponent's side.
  2. If you touch cards on both opponents side and on your side you end up committing double otetsuki or daburu(as in Japanese). This is explained as a video from my YouTube channel, please click here. It says that, if in case a ghost card 'sa' is read and I end up touching cards in both his and my territory I have to accept to cards from the opponent's territory making the score down to 1 on opponent's side and 5 on my side, which is 1 card away from losing the match. Better to avoid these otetsuki if you are in any decisive match.
  3. If you touch wrong card BUT the card being touched lies in same territory where the correct card lies it isn't considered as an otetsuki . If 'chiha' is read and I touch 'su' on my left there's no harm in doing so. So, if 'chiha' is read it makes sense that I can send both cards flying in my right corner. Although I have to keep the card that wasn't read in it's correct position.
  4. If 'mu' is read which is on opposite side and the leftmost top corner and I touch 'ura' in my right corner, I again commit because of which I have to receive one card from my opponent making the score 1-4 (one card on opposite side).But if I manage to take the correct card even after maqking a mistake, there will be no exchange of cards (think itover).
  5. If 'su' is read which is in my left corner and I touch 'se' then again there are two possibilities.
    • If opponent has taken the correct card then I have to accept two cards from opposite territory (one as otetsuki and other being because am card on my side was being taken) bringing the number of cards down to 1-4 (one card on opposite side)
    • If I manage to take the correct card despite committing a otetsuki, I have to receive one card for otetsuki which results 2-3 (two cards on opposite side)

THINK IT OVER!

What if both the players end up committing fault? Is there any possibility of card exchange?

FUN FACT:

The Queen who is the benchmark of the Chiihayafuru character is M/s. Kusunoki Saki. She is the youngest queen in Karuta history and probably the only one who hasn't lost single Queen Rank Title Finals held at Omi Shrine, Shiga Prefecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment